InterSTEM Blog

Informative articles on various STEM topics and research are published weekly.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in the article belong solely to the author and do not reflect the political stance or ideology of InterSTEM as an organization.

Join our writing team

  Satyam Mehta   28 Nov 2020   3 min
Dark matter: The most influential mystery in the universe

Satyam Mehta - Only about 5% of the universe is visible by humans. So, what about the remaining 95%? It turns out that this large portion of dark matter actually consists of dark matter and dark energy, and that's what we are going to talk about in this article; with a special focus on dark matter.

  Valeria Rivadeneyra   28 Nov 2020   3 min
Artificial neurons to cure chronic disease

Valeria Rivadeneyra - Neurons are an essential part of our nervous systems and bodies. Imitating one of them is a difficult task; however, thanks to science, it has become a reality.

  Ana Monsalud   20 Nov 2020   7 min
2020 Nobel Prize in Physics: Black holes

Ana Monsalud - The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awarded the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics to three astrophysicists based on their discoveries relating to black holes. Half the prize was awarded to Roger Penrose, with the other divided between Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez.

  Emily Richter   20 Nov 2020   4 min
Dispelling common myths about epilepsy

Emily Richter - Many people have misconceptions about what epilepsy actually is. Here are eight common myths and their corresponding truths.

  Reagan Smith   13 Nov 2020   4 min
Mapping the human genome

Reagan Smith - On Oct. 1, 1990, scientists undertook one of the most significant explorations of the universe to this date. Instead of aiming upwards at the stars, researchers looked into our cells and began the arduous process of mapping the entire human genome.

  Joan Joe   13 Nov 2020   4 min
Left and right-brained characteristics and striving for dominance

Joan Joe - Some individuals prefer to write with one hand over another while others throw with only one of their hands. This is usually because one of your brains is dominant over the other. While it is possible to randomly assign the dominant side of the brain, research indicates that there could be something more than randomness at work.

  Simone Rothaupt   07 Nov 2020   4 min
Gene editing and the future of human evolution

Simone Rothaupt - Gene editing through CRISPR and other methods will enable humans to control their own evolution. How does this novel technology work?

  Ana Monsalud   07 Nov 2020   3 min
The Fermi paradox: Possibilities of extraterrestrial life

Ana Monsalud - In 1950, during a lunch conversation with three other physicists, American physicist Enrico Fermi exclaimed, “Where is everybody?” Seventy years later, scientists are still trying to explain the lack of any evidence for extraterrestrial life despite all theories pointing towards the existence of aliens.

  Carly Schinhofen   07 Nov 2020   2 min
Creation of a New Arctic

Carly Schinhofen - Dramatic increases in global temperatures have caused a New Arctic to form, an example of the dire importance of immediate change to reduce carbon emissions to prevent higher temperatures and ocean acidification.

  Ayush Kumar   07 Nov 2020   3 min
The discovery of a new Tetraquark in a nutshell

Ayush Kumar - Are you interested in particle physics? Do you want to uncover the underlying mysteries of matter and would you like to learn about a great discovery on quarks? Scientists have observed something unusual in the association of quarks to form matter, and here’s a chance to learn something fascinating!